Thursday 10 January 2013

Hoverfly improvers course

I have been promising to organise an improvers course for a fair while. At last we are close to a confirmed date. Subject to confirmation, the dates will be Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 April. There will be 12 places.

We have yet to finalise the costs but I expect them to be in the order of £30-35 per person. Places will be secured by a cheque payable to Dipterists Forum. I have already got a number of preliminary bookings as a result of casual inquiries over the past months but there are still places and there is no certainty that those who have expressed an interest will actually attend.

At this stage I am not taking confirmed bookings but would like to hear from people who would like to attend the course. It is aimed at people who have a reasonable level of previous experience; for example those people who have attended our beginners courses and have then actually done some recording.

Ideally, we would like attendees to bring specimens but we will also have material amongst challenging taxa to enable sessions on Cheilosia, Pipizini and Platycheirus. Stuart and I have been developing ideas of how to run this course so we have a bit of work to do to pull it together in coming months.

If we get too many expressions of interest I will see what we can do about running a second course next winter. My feeling is that this might be somewhere local to us - in the vicinity of Stamford - but we will have to take soundings on this.

So, do let me know - my e-mail address is roger dot morris at dsl dot pipex dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment